DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
The department, which was the Languages Department since the establishment of the college in 1952, came into existence as a separate English Department in 2017. Dr. Mohini Mathur, Dr. Neelima Atre, and Dr. Nalini Chaturvedi have been the pillars of the department.
- To provide qualitative academics
- To hone communication skills of students
- To organise activities which develop students into integrated and well-informed citizens
- Dr. Deepa Vanjani, HoD
- Qualifications: M.A., M. Phil., Ph.D., PGDJMC, Online Course on Life and Works of Shakespeare from University of Harvard[edx] , Online Course on Buddhism and Modern Psychology from University of Princeton [ Coursera], Pursuing English Literature and Composition-Part 2: Poems from University of Berkeley[edx]
- Experience: 24 years
- Paper Publications: 25
- Paper Presentations in Seminars/Conferences : 24
- Seminars/Workshops/Conferences attended : 10
- Work as Research Guide: 02 Ph.Ds awarded, 01 submitted, 05 pursuing
- Convener in College Committees : Magazine Committee, Perihelion ,Knowledge Gallery, Press-Note Committee, , Anchoring Committee for cultural events, AQAR,
- Member in College Committees: NAAC (SSR), Career Cell, IQAC, Anti-Ragging Committee, Admission Committee
2. Prof. Kusum Joshi
- Qualifications: M.A., Pursuing Ph.D.
- Experience: 6 years
- Paper Publications: 04
- Paper Presentations in Seminars/Conferences: 03
- Seminars/Workshops/Conferences attended: 10
- Convener/Member in College Committees : Perihelion & Knowledge Gallery (Convener) , Magazine Committee, Press-Note Committee, Admission Committee, Cultural events
|Name of Faculty||Designation||Area of Research||Paper Presented||Paper Published||Research Guidance|
|Dr. Deepa Vanjani, HOD||Asst. Professor||A Study of Thematic Patterns & Themes in the short stories of Ruskin Bond||25||24||06||02||02|
|Ms. Kusum Joshi||Asst. Professor||Kazuo Ishiguro as a Postmodern Novelist: A Critical Analysis||03||04||–|
Subjects in the Foundation Course Group: The department engages UG students of B.Sc. I, II, and III years.
- English Language is a common subject for all three years
- Entrepreneurship Development in I year
- Environmental Studies in II year
- Basics of Computer in III year
- Inter college Debate Competition
- Creative and Entrepreneurial Skills Development Workshop
- Talks by invited experts
- Students’ Presentations
- Group Discussions
- Informative posters and newspaper articles displayed on departmental notice board
Highlight of the Department
Finesse: The Communication Skills Certificate Programme
About Finesse: The programme was initiated in the academic session 2014-15. It is an add on certificate workshop for UG and PG students which is free of cost. Renowned resource persons such as Mr. Arish Nandedkar, Ms. Parul Wagh , Mr. Sameer Chinchwadkar, and Dr. Alka Tomar have been invited to the college to interact with students.
- To develop leadership qualities in students
- To refine spoken and writing language skills
- To provide exposure to students
‘Ánimal Farm’ screened and discussed during ‘Finesse’.
Enrichment Activities During Lockdown
Online Finesse@Covid 19
From 6 May to 16 May 2020 an online version of the course was conducted by the department. In it ,college students, alumni, students from UTDs of DAVV and professionals from outside Indore participated. Apart from interactive platform,Google Classroom was used for the course. E Certificates were given to the participants.
Online Finesse@Covid 19 (II)
The Finesse Certificate course for the academic session 2020-21 was organised virtually on the topic ‘Ecocritical Elements in Literature and Literary Adaptations’. It was open for faculty members from other institutions, research scholars, students from our college and other institutions,as well as alumni. Dr. Rimika Singhvi ,head of the English department,IIS University,Jaipur was the keynote speaker in the inauguration. Dr. B.G. Geetha, Associate Professor, Central University of Tamilnadu, Thiruvar, was the speaker during the valedictory. The department collaborated with The Nature Volunteers and Vak Productions and had two eminent resource persons namely Mr. Dev Kumar Vasudevan and Mrs. Rachna Johri. The play Greenheart and the Dragon Pollutant by Cressida Miles was prepared by college students and alumni under the guidance of Dr Shweta Patidar and Dr Meghna Raikar. E certificates were given to participants. Dr Deepa Vanjani was the convener and one of the resource persons as well.
Covid-19: Overcoming Stress and Anxiety with Alpana Awasthi
The department organized a session on stress during the pandemic lockdown for students and faculty members. Mrs. Alpana Awasthi,Counsellor and Psychotherapist was the expert who guided the participants.
Cyber Security Seminar
Mr. Sunny Wadhwani, cyber security expert,conducted an online seminar on cyber security. The activity was organized due to the rise in the number of cyber crimes during the lockdown.
Honours, Recognitions and Awards: Dr. Deepa Vanjani
- Nari Shakti Ko Pranaam 51 Most Influential Women of the city award by Brijbhoomi Foundation ,Mathura in September 2019
- Senior Journalist Award by Anand Mohan Mathur Trust,Indore in March 2018 for freelancing as a columnist in Hindustan Times and Times of India
- Nation Builder Award by Rotary Club International in September 2018
- Senior Journalist Award by MP Women’s Press Club in March 2017
- First prize in All India Essay Writing Competition organised by Association of Indian Diplomats ,New Delhi in 2005
- Poems shortlisted for publication in Proverse International Poetry Prize Anthologies Mingled Voices in 2017 and 2019
- Articles and features on art and culture have been published in Confluence : South Asian Perspectives published from London
- Member,Editorial Board , Vidharthi Vigyan Manthan https ://vvm.org. in/ academic_committe_members. php
- Resource Person in seminars , conferences, and workshops
- Chaired sessions in national seminars
- Keynote speaker in national seminars and conferences
- Paper presentations in national and international seminars and conferences( https://youtu.be/Q9KmQzVikSo )
- Poetry reading in the release event of Proverse Poetry Prize Anthology in April 2020( https://youtu.be/E42hIy1AsZA ).
Involvement in Extension Activities
Dr Deepa Vanjani has been running a literature society named Shabd Shilp since 2012. She is the founder of the society,which is engaged in creative literary activities. Our college students and faculty members have been actively involved in the group. At present Dr Shweta Patidar,faculty member of the department is an active member. ( http://www.shabdshilp.com/)
As a social responsibility the group made a video dedicated to Corona warriors ,the lyrics were penned by Dr Vanjani ( (https://youtu.be/Jbngju1NCDw).
She has done translation, scripting for short films, reporting for UHRC, Lepra Society, State Resource Center, Vak Productions, Doordarshan, and independent film makers.
Some Notable Enrichment Activities
National Workshop on Basics of Linguistics
A one day national workshop on Basics of Linguistics was arranged by the department on 29 February 2020. The workshop was open for faculty members of English departments of various colleges and research scholar. The resource person was Mr. Rahul Mahashabde who has done PG Diploma and PG Certificate courses from EFLU, Hyderabad and a certificate course in Applied Linguistics from IIT, Madras. Participants were given certificates in the valedictory by Dr. Manisha Pandey, Prof. of English from Mata Jijabai Govt. PG College, Indore. Dr Deepa Vanjani was its convener while Ms. Kusum Joshi was the organizing secretary.
Inter-College English Debate Competition
On 22 February 2019, the department organised an inter college English debate competition on the topic “Virtual Reality is the only Reality Today”. Dr. Ashok Sachdeva,Professor of English, Mata Jijabai Girls PG Government College and retired Professor of English Dr. Laxmi Iyengar were the esteemed judges. Renowned colleges of the city as Holkar Science Autonomous College, Renaissance College, IPS Academy and others participated in the competition.
Creative Avenues:The Entrepreneurial Skill Development Workshop
As a step in the direction of developing entrepreneurial skills of students with the objective of using their creative skills as a means of revenue generation for them, the department organised this workshop on 13 and 14 September 2019. After being guided by an expert during the workshop,students displayed their creative expertise by making items which were sold in stalls put up in the college on 27 & 28 September 2019. Activity convener was Prof. Kusum Joshi and it’s Co- convener was Prof. Shweta Patidar.
Essay Writing Competition
Under the aegis of the programmes being organised to commemorate the 130th birth anniversary of Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru as per the directions of the Higher Education Department, the English Department organised an essay writing competition on 20 January 2020. Nehru and Socialism, Nehru and Secularism, Nehru and Education,Nehru and Inculcation of Scientific Temper were some of the topics given. Certificates were given to participants.
Peer learning Activities
A Peer-Learning activity was arranged for students of B.Sc. I year. Ankit Verma of M.Sc. Botany I year, engaged the English class and dealt with a lesson and its various aspects. Some students of B.Sc. II year were taken to attend the talk by wildlife expert Mr. RS Murthy, IFS, Member Secretary/APCCF MP State Biodiversity Board at Pritam Lal Dua Sabhagraha on 5/10/ 2018organised by The Nature Volunteers. Based on this talk, a power point presentation by Ms. Tanvi Ghamad, B.Sc. II year student was arranged on 13/12/2018. Peer learning activities have been part of the departmental activities.
Group Discussion on Aspects of Indian Constitution with Mrs. Garima Mudgal, Faculty, Prestige Institute of Management and Research as the facilitator was arranged on 25/01/2020. Group discussions are also organised in the Communication Skills sessions with the aim of making students develop a viewpoint, and confidence.
Safal Yuva- Bharat exam
Safal Yuva- Bharat exam, conducted by Vivekananda Kendra, is organised in the college for the UG students who register for the same. Dr. Deepa Vanjani is the activity coordinator of the college and therefore the exam is arranged by the department. Information regarding the online exam being organised by the Kendra due to the Corona pandemic has been circulated on the WhatsApp groups of students.
Poster Making Competition
As a tribute to the four DPS souls, victims of the tragic bus accident, the Department organised a Pamphlet- Making Competition on the topic “Road Safety or Death: Choice is Yours”. Ms. Rachna Johri was the honourable judge. Prizes were distributed to the winners. Hazra Sheikh of MB6 got the I prize , Akansha Soni of MB6 stood II , Ankit Verma of B6 was III, while Jayendra Singh Sisodiya of C3 got the consolation prize. Twenty seven students participated in the activity. An exhibition of these pamphlets was also held during the Career Guidance Seminar in Central Hall on 16/02/2018. Dr. Poonam Nagar and Ms. Kusum Joshi were coordinators of both these activities.
The department initiated a blog for students in 2019 so as to encourage them to write and share original content.
Literature Quiz: The department and Shabd Shilp got together to organize a literarture quiz for students . the quiz master was college alumnus Ankit Verma and hosted by Arya Munshi,another alumnus of the college,both being Shabd Shilp members. The judge was Ms. Parul Wagh from Katha Kathan,Mumbai.
The Art of Entrepreneurship
The departments of English and Hindi organized an entrepreneurship seminar for B.Sc. I year students on The expert was Mr.Sunny Wadhwani,young entrepreneur, who is founder and owner of Wadhwani Enterprises.